Let's explore some of the good qualities of and bad qualities of a well formed team, by debriefing a video of the team in action.
The team in question have been working together for many years. Have a look at the video, a few times if you need to. Then take 5 minutes to think about what the team does well? Now take 5 minutes to think about what they do badly?
While the resulting work of the team turns out to be a funny disaster, this team demonstrates some good and bad attributes of a well formed and performing team
Good team attributes
- Obvious leader
- Had enough people to do the job
- Defined roles
- Stronger men in the "right" place
- Right tools for the job
- Succeeded in getting the job in the first place
- Displayed expertise
- Trusted each other
- "good" communication
- Motivated - money, prestige
- Courage to take on the job
- One, very clear goal
- All planning was in dels head
- Del's assumptions
- other team members reliance on Del's thinking
- Del's leadership style, Del was dismissive, belittling of butler
- Hadn't actually done it before
- No real energy
- Hierarchical team
- members didn't share leaders motivations
- no continuous improvements
- Del always compensated for others lack of competence
- Del didn't realise his own limitations
- Poor Communication - All talk, very little listening.
- Complacency - Members are overly familiar with each other
- Poor result - they break the chandelier
Can you recognise any of these attributes in your team? What are you doing well? What aspects of your team could you improve?